Straža is indeed a small municipality with an area of over two dozen square kilometers and a few thousand inhabitants, which does not mean that it has nothing to show. On the contrary! Across the area in the very heart of Dolenjska, the Krka river runs, more than rightly termed 'dolenjska beauty'. And Krka is not only beautiful to look, you can also paddle with it or you descend from the abortion, and in your waters you move the hook, as the fish here are not missing. Many mill cycles, which they once propelled, do not revolve for a long time, but in Vavti vas and in two other towns in Straža you can still see some of these memories of the past.
Just above the green river rises the Strait Mountain. If you look at her, you, in this respect, especially in fine weather, play the heart. The pleasant sunny position of its base is sown with vineyards, typical Dolenjska bricks and in the last years also with holiday houses, which with their appearance are nicely included in this environment. For the great pleasure of careful wine-growers, the sun on these slopes can, at will, pamper grape berries. This is where good wines begin, starting with a cavity for which Tone Pavček, a poet Tone Pavček, wrote down Dolenjec, "It's not for masses, but always flying." Cviček is still 'flying' and for quite some time already 'for masses '; Wine with a recognized traditional denomination is increasingly appreciated. Visiting the cottage is an experience for itself. Both for wine and for people; Dolenjci have always been friendly, talkative and broad-based.
If you want an invigorating march or just a short stroll in a beautiful natural environment, footpaths are available along the Strasko gori. For example, they also lead you past the Great Plumage and Landmarks cave, which reminds you of the times when there was a black death - plague. But other things are testifying about the past times. Precisely in the area of Straža there was only the now-known leveling hill in Slovenia; these high-rise settlements from the first millennium BC have usually stood in raised places. Tod was once an important Roman path. There are five churches in the Strait area. The paragliding paragliders take off on Straška gora with which you can take a tandem. In Transčna, there is a sports airport where, among others, take off airplanes that offer visitors a viewing of these places from a bird's eye view. There are many events held in Straža throughout the year, starting with traditional Straška autumn, Straška salamiada, Regatta on Krka, Martin's march, Christmas New Year's concert ...
Much more is found in this small but rich area. Good reasons to visit the Guard are therefore more than enough.
Športne dejavnosti MIHAEL MOŽE S.P. tel: 031/421 440
Pizzeria Eldorado, Jurka vas 1, 8351 Straza
tel .: 07/337 80 10
Fishing family Novo mesto, sub-department of Straža-Dolenjske Toplice
tel .: 041 / 503-185 (Momcilo Maksimovic)
Vines in our region have grown and produced wine practically since the beginnings of time. Vines occurred on the territory of Slovenia with the arrival of the first settlers. The Celts already, in the 4th century BC, planted vines which the Romans hereafter even expanded. The raise of the quality of the wine and viticulture in the Middle Ages was mainly due to the care of the monks, who in the 11th century helped with the beginnings of the rise of viticulture. The ‘hill legislation’ from the 13th century also played an important role since it introduced a rent for vineyards.
The proof that the area of Straža has been engaged in the vinegrowing for many years are the remainings of abandoned vine-cottages and the mighty trees growing over the ones built at the top of the Straška gora – the Srobotnik. Its sunny position and hardworking locals are the key to the vine growing well in this steep area. In the years from 1900 to 1901 vines were destroyed by vine lice, and a year after it was affected by a severe frost. Self-growing vines, such as šmarnica, amerikan, bakus, tinton, angara, etc. were replaced in most of the vineyards with noble varieties. This was also due to a grapevine disease callled Zlata trsna rumenica, which has much spread in our vineyards since 2010. Zlata trsna rumenica is a quarantine disease of the grapevine caused by Grapevine flavescencedorée (FD). The disease in vineyards spreads very quickly through the US leafhopper that transmits phytoplasma from the infected to healthy vines. Our winegrowers in cooperation with experts and inspection services have by the year 2015, already severely limited this disease by sprinkling and also by destroying the infected vines. Because this disease had affected mostly self-growing vines, these were replaced with vines of noble sorts.
Straška, Nova and Stara gora, and Ljuben are our wine-growing areas which fall within the Posavsko-Dolenjska winegrowing region ehich is the home of Cviček. From here come nicely bright red and white wines with pronounced acidity and delicate flavour.
the vineyard area of Dolenjska (transl. the Lower Carniola) measures 4,275 ha. From the white sorts of grape varieties thrive Royalty, Yellow Plavec, Latin Riesling, Green Sylvaner, Ranina, Pinot Blanc, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Kerner, the Renn Riesling; while from the red sorts of grapes thrive Portugalka, Šentlovrenka, Gamay, Žametovka, Franconian, Zweigelt, Pinot Noir.
Typical wine of this region is Dolenjska’s Cviček, which has become quite a synonym for the vine-growing Lower Carniola. Cviček is a kind of wine consisting of the following sorts: Black Velvet, Blue Franc, Royalty and Latin Riesling. Cviček is characterized by a bright red color, a nicely tasting acidity, and relatively low alcohol content that does not exceed 10 vol.%. A pleasantly smooth dry red wine, with a taste resembling that of raspberries, strawberries and currants, goes well with many dishes due to its lightness and liveliness which complement many different flavours.
The winegrowers of our county are joined in the association – The Association of Winegrowers Straža, where with mutual cooperation, exchange of knowledge and with organizing various lectures they care for the health of the vine in the vineyards and, with good cellaring, for a good quality of wines.
Footpaths along the Straški hribAfter the Straški hrib, three circular hiking trails are made: Forestry, Roman and Vineyards. The beginning and end of all three interconnected and complementary routes is at the railway station in Straža (175 m nm.), Where there is a large parking lot for private vehicles. The railway station is approximately a distance from the center of Straža. 150m in the direction of Prečna.
The trails are picturesque, intertwined, and mostly run along the undemanding terrain. During the journey, it must be borne in mind that during the dry season, the southern slopes of the Straight Mountains are at risk. It is very likely that you can meet various wildlife living in the forest. During the hike we need to be careful not to unnecessarily disturb them and to ensure that our behavior is appropriate for the movement in the natural environment.
Forest pathIt is an easy path, marked with plates and white green circles on the trees. Passes past the church of St. Tomaža continues through the vineyards and then leads along steeper forest paths and trains to the Velika prepadna cave. We walk here for about an hour. A large precipitous is a karst karst cave, which can be visited twice a year (May 1st and during the autumn of Straška Autumn). Otherwise, for visitors for safety reasons as well as for the protection of animals that have found their habitat here (especially beetles and bats), they are closed.
From here, we can continue the path to Frat or the Peter Pier.
1. FrataFrom the Big Routes we continue along the paths used by foresters and forest owners to work in the forest. They are marked with white green round labels. The trail partly runs along the route of Trdinova pot and the European footpath E7. It leads past several natural attractions and ends at Dom Frata in the village Dolnji Ajdovec in the area of the Žužemberk municipality. It is about 1.5 hours from Veliki Prepadne, or 2.5 hours from Straža, in length of 8.6 km.
2. Peter's take-off pointThe path is marked with signs and white red markings in the form of a parachute. In the beginning, the Srobotnik crosses the north side, which is at 593 m above sea level the highest peak of the Straso Mountains. From the macadam trail, we turn the extreme left to the forest path and then pass the stream Bič to the Peter Peak. We need approximately 40 minutes from the Great Ridge to the takeoff. From the starting point in Straga to here is a little less than five kilometers.
Roman wayThe Roman route represents a more demanding version of the route from Straža to the Peter Peak. It is marked with signs and white red markings in the form of a parachute.
We can come to the Roman Way in two ways:
1. Go through the Forestry path past the church of St. Tomaž and then into the hill. After about 20 minutes of walking we reach the crossroads, where the beginning of the Roman route. The walking time to Peter's takeoff is about 2 hours.
2. Following the Upper Vineyard Route to the crossing with guide boards (approximately 20 minutes from the train station). The walking time to Peter's takeoff is about 1 hour.
The Roman route leads along the south-eastern slope of Straška gora, and the name was given on the basis of the legend that in the time of the Romans there was a Roman road. As experts say, this is entirely possible, but is not yet confirmed. It is transient throughout the year, as snow due to sunlight is usually rapidly muddled.
Vineyard path to Peter take-off pointIt is a total length of 3.4 kilometers, driven mainly by paved paths and marked with boards. It is the shortest route from Straža to the Peter Peak. Peter's takeoff is a pleasant jungle in the middle of a forest at an altitude of 464 meters above sea level, which is used mainly for gliding by paragliders from the Free Flight Club - Kanja from Dolenjske Toplice.
The path is taken along the upper and middle roads between the vineyards. It is located approximately 500m from the train station. Both are marked with white and red markings in the form of a parachute.
The upper path begins steeply into the hill between the vineyards. Soon, when the path is leveled, we get to the markings and we have two options:
1. The path continues straight past the indigenous sign and then descend into the valley and reach the crossroads, where a common road continues with the middle path to the Peter Peak. We need a 1 hour walk.
2. Turn to the hill and reach the Roman Route. We also need about 1 hour walking on this route to take off. If we decide on this route, after about 10 minutes we turn right and continue the path to the Roman route to the Forestry path and then towards Velika prepadna and Frati. But if we continue straight, we climb steeply down the slope of the hill and reach the forest paths. If we turn left, we reach Peter's Peak and on the right, past the whirlpool, to the Great Goblet.
The middle path first takes place between the vineyards. At the crossroads where he meets the upper path, we continue the path to the left and after a few ten meters to the right on the meadow and then between the vineyards steep into the hill. In a sharp bend, we continue the path along the forest road, where the signs lead us to the Peter Peak. Here we can rest on the set benches, some of them are also under the roof, and enjoy the view of the surrounding places. We will need a bad hour on foot. After a rest, we continue our journey to Velika Prepadna or we descend to Straža.
Peter take-off point - Straža
The cave can be reached on foot along the marked path with green-and-white signs. The trail starts at the train station in Straža, past the Church of St.Thomas, and then goes into the forest region of the hill. It is a part of the Forestry Route that leads to Frata and a part of Jacob's Route (see Pešpoti po straškem hribu). Next to the cave, tables and benches are put, and a small fireplace. The place is suitable for picnics.
The cave can be seen only in the company of cave-explorers. Each year there are two organized walks to the cave and visits of it. The first is always on the 1st of May, and the second is within the context of events called the Straška Autumn, which takes place at the end of August, during the first weekend in September. The exact date is posted on the Municipal website, posters and in the media.
Velika prepadna is a Karst cave, lying along a forest road on the northwest slope of the Srobotnik. Its entrance is situated at 530m asl. It consists roughly, of the entrance abyss, the main tunnel and the ground floor. The entry abyss, which is 24m deep, indicates that the ceiling of the cave collapsed and burried the rest. On the remnant stones it drops into the entrance hall, which is 20m wide and 30m long. There is a low ceiling on its right side, while on the left side the ceiling rises steeply to a height of 15-20m. Most of the walls and the ceiling are calcified.
The hall further on slowly rises and reduces into a demolished tunnel of size 2x3m. The floor and its walls are beautifully calcified.
The middle hall expands and rises. There we arrive at the Sinter piles and small Karst pans.
From the middle hall, the main tunnel steeply rises into the last hall. The floor is formed from the calcified boulders, while on the walls is red and white Sinter mix. In the last hall there are also many stalactites, though many of them are broken. There is also a big pillar in the hall about 6m high and with a diameter of 1m, and on the right side there is 4 m deep slot, where water gathers. Behind the pillar are to parallel abysses that join with Štirna, a 20m deep abyss with very much corroded walls, at the bottom of which there is clay and remnant stones – i.e. the ground floor, which can be reached only by the experienced cavers. The lowest point of it is -95m.
Velika prepadna is one of the few horizontal caves, as its main abyss is from 10 to 40m deep. It has almost a 300m depth potential.
MALA PREPADNA / The Small Abyss
It is located approx. 200m north-east from Velika prepadna along the forest road. Its entrance measures 1m in diameter and continues into an abyss which is 16m deep. Right after the entrance it expands into a small hall with a few pillars, and it is completely calcified. The cave continues with a calcified tunnel that has the boulders ground from which the stalactites lift. The tunnel slowly rises, and there are small abysses 3-5m deep which end up with the rubble. On the left is a dry riverbed of 2m width that follows the main tunnel to the narrowing, which leads into a smaller final hall of size 2x4m. The tunnel then further narrows down, and after 4 metres it is no longer passable. The main tunnel turns sharply to the east and down into the abyss, which is 8m deep and 1 to 51.5 m wide.
The main tunnel is nicely calcified as the entrance into the abyss prevents visits.
The entrance into Mala prepadna:
The Runway Peter
Vzletišče Peter (The Runway Peter)
The Runway Peter is meant for paragliders’ taking off, and at the same time it is also a very popular sight for hikers.
Devoted members of the Club for Free Flying Kanja, based in Dolenjske Toplice, with their volunteer work cleaned the plain and neatly arranged it for a safe takeoff. The opening of the runway was in 2005.
The Runway Peter is placed above Dolenje Polje at 464m asl., south-eastern location overlooking the Topliška valley, towards Ljuben and the Gorjanci. The space for landing from the Runway Peter is situated right behind the silo in direction towards Straža at 181m asl. The height difference between the takeoff and the landing is 283m.
More information about the flying and the flying in tandem can be found on the following website: http://www.kpl-kanja.si/
Access from Straža: by car
The access is from the Straža direction towards Soteska; at the car-tow Bradač turn right sharply (it is a dangerous turn to the right and, therefore it is recommended that you drive further and turn your car backwards about 20 metres ahead), and, keeping along the road to the left, when the asphalt road ends turn right sharply onto a macadam road for approx. 200 m till you reach a turning plate and a signpost for the runway in 10 min. There we leave the car and walk to the runway.
Walking: See Pešpoti - Vinogradniška pot
The Plague Sign
The Plague sign is placed by the upper Vineyard Route.
It was erected by the inhabitants who live under the Srobotnik as a reminder of the gratitude for the end of the plague, which spread between the 14th and 17th century and killed a third of the European population.
The plague is a severe infectious disease that affects various parts of the body. Rats are the most common source of human infection. Since internal and under skin bleedings occur, the body gets covered with black marks, hence the name for the plague - the Black Death.
The Churches in the Municipality
There are five churches in the municipality of Straža . The Parish Church of St. Jacob in Vavta vas has two subsidiary churches: the Church of St. Thomas in Straža and the Church of St. Mary, a Consoler to the Sad in Drganja sela.
The Church of the Assumption of Our Lady in the former Dolnja Straža and the Church of St. Martin in Zalog are subsidiaries of the Church of St. Anthony in Prečna. In addition to the churches in the municipality of Straža, there are many crucifixes, crosses and chapels built by the local parishioners for thanksgiving or for intercession.
The Church of St. Jacob in Vavta vas is a Baroque parish church designed in the 18th century, adorned with Goldenstein scenic architecture of altars from the year 1855. The Church of St. Thomas is from the 14th century, and a Romanesque nave and a three-sided presbytery with a crest vault are from the 17th century.
The Church of St. Mary, a Consoler to the Sad in Drganja Sela from the Middle Ages, was at the beginning of the 18th century thoroughly changed into a Baroque style. The present presbytery is vaulted. The side altars are from the 18th century. The Way of the Cross, painted on paper, with inscriptions in Bohorič alphabet, is a folk art.
The Church of the Assumption of Our Lady in the former Dolnja Straža is a Baroque church from the end of the 17th century, to be more precise - from the year 1690. The church was built on an octagonal floor base, with a leaned bell tower and a shallow chapel.
The Church of St. Martin in Zalog - the years of construction or consecration are not known, however, it is mentioned in the Census of Churches by Bishop Bizancij in the year 1581. It is assumed that, originally, there stood a chapel. The nave is rectangular, arched in the Baroque way. The presbytery is also rectangular, finished in the Gothic style.
The descriptions and the details are presented in the brochure:
Who knows when and who
Quotes from Krka's book however, run on:
"Who chose this place, who first remembered that the river had enclosed the path and led the water into the gutter and the mallet wheel? Perhaps they were villagers, maybe some free man, maybe a gentleman or a manager of the capitol of Novo mesto? Who knows?"
The first mention of the mill in Vavta vas village dates back to 1502 and 1504, when the lordship of capitol of Novo mesto should buy a mill in Vavta vas village from Gregor Kompoler (Gumpiler).
In 1658, in the urbar of capitol, the mill in Vavta vas village is mentioned on three stones. Later the mills are gone.
Considering the condition of the mill building, we assume that construction changes occurred between the beginning of the 16th century and the middle of the 19th century.
According to Jože Dular, in the novel Krka, he continues to work on the mill in 1738, and the miller was Jakob Duller, succeeded by his son Matija Dular, who, in the time of the Illyrian Provinces (1809-1813), bought the mill from the French, who possessed the Captain's possession. All this time, the mill had three pairs of stones.
In 1843 there was a major change. Dular thoroughly rebuilt the mill and raised it to five pairs of stones. At that time, a stone gateway was also made at the main entrance, which has a carved year of 1843 and the abbreviation F (ranc) D (ular).
In 1847 Dular added a mill to the mill. It was probably set up in the northwest corner of the mill.
In 1866 another saw was placed next to the mill. The original saw was standing above the water parallel to the mill. Already on the Franciscan cadastre, a narrow wooden object was built in the same location. Therefore, we can assume that the saw has stopped before. Except for the mention in the Franciscan Cadastre, we did not find any other documents on this.
After the fire that cracked the saw on Christmas in 1895, the saws were rebuilt at a new location. They climbed it on the bank, forward from the mill downstream.
In 1903 a mill was undergoing major processing. Two rolling mills were installed instead of two pairs of millstones. In addition to this, instead of wooden water wheels, which propelled individual mill stones, a metal wheel was propelled, which propelled the mill - one for propelling a mill and another for sawing the saw.
Crabs were also changed. Two wider crabs were made and a dam was lifted. Prisoners and position The height of the water wheel was controlled by the miller and the sawmaker from the mill itself or the mill. saws and thus make the most of the current water power. The possibility of regulating the height of the water wheels is mentioned by Janez Trdin in his notes for the year 1870.
The plan of 1940, when the then owner Franc and Jože Dular applied for water rights for the mill and sawmill. Jože, who owned the mill, and Franz saw the saws. After the war, the widow sold Jože a mill. The owner, Anton Rozman, closed the mill in 1972 and moved out. In his mill lived his wife and son Ivan, who sold the mill. Some owners changed their minds, but they left the mill to nature and began to collapse. From the last owner Regeneracija d.o.o. it was bought by the Municipality of Straža in December 2013. In 2015 it was declared a cultural monument of local significance and signed a contract for the reconstruction of the roof.
Official Journal - Proclamation of a mill and saws for a cultural monument of local importance
DAYS ON KRKA -2015
In the summer of July, as of 2010, the Day at Krka event is organized by the Municipality of Straža. The event started as a Sunday descent along the Krka River, and in 2014 it turned into a three-day event called Days on Krk. All events in 2015 are taking place in and around the Krka River. The "Most Fest" at the school bridge with a circus workshop, musical performance, descent of desire lights and a fiery show was the opening Friday of the events in 2015, which continued on Saturday afternoon with kayaking, rafting, soups and canoes riding the members of the Rafting Club Gimpex Straža rented free of charge, and socializing at the dam in Straža.
The day at Krka, as the main event Days on the Krka, begins with the descent with rafts and other vessels along the Krka River. Start of the downhill is in the Soteska below the bridge where applications are held and each participant gets a memorial shirt. Members of the Rafting Club Gimpex Straža provide rafts and all necessary equipment and also lead and follow the descent itself. The drive itself is not only recreation but also socializing, enjoying beautiful nature and accompanying activities - finding hidden treasures, parties, musical accompaniments, driving under the waterbowl ... The greatest pleasure is of course descending the dams, first in the village of Rumunja, then Vavti village and still in the Zalog, so that nobody gets dry on the goal that is on the lawn in the Zalog. After a snack, water competition between the villages in the municipality begins, and the inhabitants of the neighboring villages - Srebrnič and Češke vas (municipality Novo mesto) - are invited to join the competition and show their skills.
After the competition, there is socializing with baked trout, drinks and sports activities on the grass.
Members of the Rafting Club Gimpex Straža, volunteer firefighters and members of Kajak canoe club Straža participate in the organization of the downhill. The event is included in the project Water always forever, the Kayak Association of Slovenia.
More about events in 2015 on the website:
The event Straška Autumn is a traditional event organized by the Tourist Association Straža, which takes place in the first week of September. The first event took place in 1986. During that week various events take place, and it always starts with a Saturday walk to the Velika prepadna and the tour of the cave. During the week various events are held, such as the meeting of folklore groups, Accordion Competition, lectures - preparation for the vine harvest, cellaring, production and storage of vegetables, etc., the festival of bread, wine and salami, the meeting of winegrowers - wine tasting, gathering the best harvest from the Municipality of Straža, descent of the lights on the river Krka, driving on a hay wagon and horse riding, sales of domestic products from the area of Straška Valley, exhibition of the handicrafts by the Pensioners’ Association Straža and of home-made cakes called ‘šarkelj’ by the Tourist Association Straža, the finale of a competition for the Slovenian Martin Krpan, a tour of the cavalry along the border of the Municipality Straža, the art colony, harvesting of millet, a lecture on the use of millet, etc.
On Sunday, there is the Sunday Mass under the tent in front of the Fire Station in Straža.
The main event is the Sunday parade of chariots, where the inhabitants of each village present life in the country in relation to the theme which is set each year differently. In all these years, the following topics have been presented on carts: My home, How we grew up, Long winter evenings, From generation to generation, Home made, Gifts from the fields, Our villages, Childhood in a village, From grandma's chest, From grain to bread, Gifts of the Forest, The Black rustic kitchen ...
From the beginning until the year 2011, the carts were pulled by horses, which were then replaced by tractors mainly due to the tightening of legislation concerning the presence of animals at the events.
Events of the Straška Autumn are filled with joy, showing beautiful, friendly moments of life in a village and on a farm. People are every day more and more aware that the countryside is becoming increasingly valuable for their lives, work, leisure and socializing. One of the ways of socializing in the rural areas are also the voluntary associations that with a wide variety of activities bring together and fulfill the interests of people. With preparation of carriages, participation in the parade and other events, 500 inhabitants from all villages in the Municipality are involved, members of the Tourist Association Straža, the Fire Brigade Straža, Winegrowers’ Association Straža, Pensioners' Association Straža and the Municipality of Straža.
Events in the year 2015 are listed on the following website: http://straskajesen.obcina-straza.si
The hike organized by the Straza Municipality in 2009, in cooperation with the Wine Company Straža and the Tourist Association Straža. In 2014, he fell off due to bad weather, otherwise he is marked every year on St. Valentine's day. Martin, which is celebrated in Slovenia as a wine festival. The hike is organized on the first Saturday of the year. Martina.
The hikers' choir is at the train station in Straža. The path is approximately 13.5 km long and runs along the Krka river along the walking and cycling routes to the church of St. John the Baptist. Martin in Stock. Here is a stop with a feast; hot drinks, snacks and of course wine tasting. In 2015, for the first time, we have performed a baptism of wines to make St. John the Baptist. Martin guards wine against diseases. The path continues along the main road towards Straza. At the crossroads we focus right to the former property of the "Primitives" and then past the Zalog Strait Zona Strait along the airport route to the hangars of Prečna Airport. We cross the main road and go past the castle Lukna between vineyards in Nova Gorica. Vineyards prepare a feast and wine tasting, also in the Old Mountain where we come when we descend to the church in Dolenja Straži and continue the path between the vineyards towards Straža. To the strait of the mountain, where there is another stop, we come to the direction of the direction towards the forest, and when we get to the Forest road, turn left towards Straža. At the asphalt road, turn right into the hill between the vineyards. The path continues along the asphalt road to the sharp bend, we turn into the valley and we are soon on the goal at the Firefighting house in Straža, where is the ending with a party, music and the last wine tasting.
6. Martin's hike 2015 - more onmartinovpohod.obcina-straza.si